To improve the quality of life of animals by educating the next generation of owners.
- We help misunderstood parrots communicate and we help owners listen.
- We are committed to the nurture, safety and integrity of all birds and the education of all owners on these principles.
- We have the education, experience and understanding needed to fulfill the needs and wants of our birds and those belonging to any owner seeking our help.
- We provide a compassionate, highly enriched, safe and welcoming place for relinquished parrots to land. Many of our limited spaces are dedicated to seniors, terminally ill owners and emergency cases.
- We provide our parrots with choice, respect their decisions and defend their need to exercise safe control over their environment and their experience.
- We rebrand the image of older, adoptable parrots away from “broken, damaged, unmanageable and undesirable” to stable companions who come with some very desirable behaviours and professional support.
- We care about social justice, the ethical treatment of animals and the conservation of natural habitats, and we support organizations who feel the same.
- We house parrots in as natural a setting as possible while encouraging their expression, and when prudent the humane shaping, of their instinctual behaviours.
- We have a passion for creating a world where parrots are no longer misunderstood, mishandled or abandoned for expressing natural, instinctual behaviours.
Judy Tennant BA, B.Ed, M.Ed
Executive Director, Founder
Thirty years experience in the fields of business, education and human/animal behaviour. Member in good standing with The International Association of Avian Trainers and Educators (IAATE). Shelter Affiliate with the International Association of Animal Behaviour Consultants (IAABC). Judy is responsible for implementing the strategic plan and overseeing the administration of Parrot Partners. She reports to and works closely with the Board of Directors.
Board of Directors
Composed of leaders from the business, academic and conservation communities, the board of directors exercises overall responsibility for the policies, programs and direction of Parrot Partners Canada and provides advice and counsel on a broad range of policy and operational matters. The composition of the board is chosen to reflect a diverse range of expertise, with all members having a strong and demonstrated commitment to the humane treatment of animals and conservation. Board members observe and annually sign Parrot Partners Canada’s conflict of interest policy.
Human Resource Director
Carmen Baru, LL.B
Darin Cowan, BSc
Darin has thirty years experience as IT security professional, consulting to government, financial, and health care industries, and serving in management positions as both a military officer and in private industry. His extensive knowledge of IT and technology will help in establishing Parrot Partners on-line training. Darin has a BSc in Physics and Computer Science from Royal Roads Military College. Darin also studies cephalopod biology (squid / octopus / cuttlefish / nautilus) as a hobby.
Leah Travis, MBA
Mac Voisin, B.Eng
Business Strategist / Patron
Rachel Thibeault, Ph.D
Therapeutic Programs Director
B.Arch., OAA, AANB, FRAIC
Advisor and Director at Large
Robert is a partner in the architectural firm, N45 ARCHITECTURE, located in Ottawa. His experience includes architectural design and master planning. He has designed a number of award-winning projects including Ottawa City Hall, Nepean City Hall, Ottawa Courthouse, Bell Sensplex, Sens Rink of Dreams, Canada 150 Ice Skating Rink on Parliament Hill, and has donated his time for the Parrot Partners Canada retrofit in Carleton Place. Robert is also guest architectural critic at the school of Architecture at Carleton University and has been guest critic at the School of Architecture, Kumamoto University, Kumamoto Japan.
In 2013 he was awarded the Ottawa General Contractor's Integrity & Ethics Award.
Support and Dedicated Staff
Training & Enrichment Coordinator
B.Sc (bachelor of science) in Zoology and a B.Ed Bachelor of education. Member in good standing with the International Association of Animal Behaviour Consultants (IAABC). Manda is responsible for the training, rehabilitation and enrichment of Parrot Partners parrots.
Social Media Coordinator
Outreach and Events Coordinator
Meaghan is responsible for running Parrot Events, tours, and other programs at Parrot Partner.
Development & Events Coordinator
Holly is responsible for the development of new programs and events at the aviary. She is also an active volunteer on the floor with bird care.
Angelique is responsible for the recruitment, training and supervision of all volunteers. She maintains the standards and continuity of bird care at Parrot Partners.
Katelyn is responsible for maintaining the standards, biosecurity, and continuity of bird care at Parrot Partners as well as assisting with other duties.